Friday, November 7, 2008

Do You Have A Goal For Your Personal Brand?

I have been thinking a lot lately about online identity and personal brand. Many people work very hard to create their online brand identity starting at the bottom and building upwards with hard work, persistence, and transparency. Some reach a place of not only familiarity, but of credibility on a certain subject. When I think about what it is I would build my reputation on, I often come back to one interesting question: What is the ultimate goal?


U2 is the arguably still the biggest rock band in the world. Their front man, Bono, has been given charming charisma and a winning personality and he could be easily satisfied with just making music and touching people through songs (which is not necessarily bad). His personal brand has reached a height that gives him a platform and the attention of the world's listening ears. I believe that Bono, not settling into his position for what it is, uses his personal brand for a higher purpose. Instead of sitting back and basking in rock-star glory, he acts differently. Bono often comments about the absurdity that a rock-star can get an audience with the world's political leaders and multi-million dollar corporation CEOs , but he also realizes the importance of taking his opportunity no matter how it comes. He reaches out using his personal brand and position and now has literally affected millions of people all over the world as a champion of poverty, AIDS awareness, and international advocacy.

The quest for online notoriety often times seems selfish to me. If I were to build my name up to a point of credibility, would it just be for me or could I do it for something more than myself? The position of fame for fame's sake is an easy place to stop, but we must all ask ourselves why we work so hard and what the goal of all our efforts could be. At the end of the day, what will we make of our personal brand?