Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting the Gist of Lists

I recently came across an article on ReadWriteWeb that discussed Twitter's inability to fully take advantage of its Lists feature, noting a recent report showing that 44% of their own employees don't even create lists.

The report went on to show that 30% of Twitter employees don't subscribe to lists, while 51% don't subscribe to the official Twitter list. These numbers led the article to conclude that Twitter is doing a poor job of taking advantage of a "super-powerful" feature.

But should these numbers really trouble Twitter all that much?

Personally, I don't feel this is much of an issue. Yes, building Twitter lists can be a useful tool, but at the end of the day it's really just an organizational system. And like all methods of organizing, there isn't one right way to do it and it may not work well for everyone.

To be honest, I myself don't subscribe to many lists, and I definitely don't utilize them on a regular basis.

However, my own (lack of) List use aside, I do agree with ReadWriteWeb that Twitter should consider expanding the List limit beyond its current 500 user maximum.

Do you create and subscribe to lists yourself? Let us know in the comment section below.