Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bad Hedgehog

Mariah Carey wrote a poetry book. Here's a line from it:

I love my unicorn, he knows I am true,
My troubles go poof, my unicorn named Boo

I am reminded of the book Good To Great (highly-recommended read). In one chapter, Jim Collins explains the Hedgehog concept which is about discovering where three concepts intersect - what you can be the best at in the world, what drives your economic engine, and what you are most passionate about. Discovering your Hedgehog concept will help inform your business decisions by eliminating and affirming opportunities based on whether they fit.

Mariah Carey is a singer. She can hit some pretty high notes and make catchy pop songs. I don't think she is a poet. "Poetry writer" does not fit in her Hedgehog concept and therefore might be a bad use of energy and also damage her image.

I waste a lot of time on various online activities that don't really help me achieve my goals. Not all these activities are bad. Some of them just don't fit. Businesses do this all the time. What kinds of things might you be doing that don't fit in with your Hedgehog concept?