Monday, December 22, 2008

Holy F. S. I Was Just in A P.C.

@2drinksbehind is following 41 people on Twitter; the F/F ratio doesn’t matter. He doesn’t need to search out anyone for the rest of his life after his on-the-minute tweet from inside the Denver plane when it crashed. He’s got 1,582 followers and a NBC Nightly News interview to prove it. In the spirit of his post, “Holy fresh strawberries,” what is going on with the news?

Mike Wilson describes himself in his Twitter profile as a “hobbit child,” and apparently this media exposure is an “experience of a lifetime in more ways than one.”

News has no bounds, reaching into the citizen journalist file and pulling out tragedies like the plane flying off the Denver runway, and earlier on, the Mumbai attacks. Are publications writing these social media stories in hopes of re-gaining print circulation numbers? I feel news is so desperate now that they can print stuff like this without censorship. Some people are outraged about news' nonsensical approach nowadays, as these comments to this article suggest.

I do have to say, though-- if I were in a plane crash and wanted to let the world know about it, I’d use my Twitterrific and I would probably #$%@ my pants too.